As of today at 1:00pm:
- Two hounds (pictured; the other two prefer lounging indoors on my side of the bed, achoo)
- Two lizards (green anoles, my favorite)
- One cat (feral, living beneath Grey Gardens next door)
- One broad-winged hawk (several hundred feet above my head, but clearly in our airspace, rising on thermals in a wobbly circle)
- Several hundred, or thousand, or hundred thousand Buck Moth caterpillars, eating their way down the branches of the neighbor’s live oak and eventually falling into our garden, where I will almost certainly (i.e. definitely) grab one in the course of tying back rose vines, sucking in through my teeth as I wince from the pain of its fluffy tuft of toxic stingers.